If you have some free time these days why not try out your culinary skills and become acquainted with your kitchen! The restaurants, cafes, bars and food producers of Kildare are working hard to offer people ideas on how to bring the great tastes from their establishments into your home. We’ve put together just some of these great Kildare recipes to give you a taste of whats on offer! Why not try some Bratwurst Flat Bread from The K Club or Pecan and Treacle Soda Bread from Hartes of Kildare to enjoy with your summer salad. Hartes of Kildare have also put together a range of tasty spicy Moroccan recipes including a Chicken Skewers, Chickpeas and Bulger Wheat dish which is ideal for a proper family meal round the table. Sweet treats are vital to keep us all energised during these times and Lily O’Brien’s have given us a delicious recipe for their pretty flower shaped doughnuts with chocolate caramel glaze. A perfect recipe to try out with your kids in the kitchen. To quench our thirst on these sunny days, Lock13 Gastro BrewPub are offering a demonstration on how to make their Whiskey Sour/Tully & Ginger Hybrid Kocktail. Scroll down to see these tasty recipes and share with us your creations on our IntoKildare Facebook, Instagram and Twitter Pages. #CookwithKildare
The K Club Recipe from their Preferred Hotels Partner Hearth ’61 at MountainShadows Resort in Arizona
• 6 ounces of pizza dough
• ½ cup of chopped blanched broccolini
• 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
• ¼ cup of chopped caramelised yellow onion
• ½ cup of shredded (large) smoked white cheddar
• ¼ cup of sliced and grilled bratwurst
• Preheat the oven to the hottest setting and place a pizza stone on the middle rack.
• Once the oven and stone are as hot as possible, roll the dough.
• Roll the dough as thins as possible and assemble the flatbread with all the ingredients on an inverted baking sheet dusted with flour. Add the smoked white cheddar on last.
• Slip the flatbread onto the pizza stone carefully and cook for about 4-5 minutes. If the dough is not golden brown, it might not be quite done. Give it a little time. (until the dough is crispy)
• Transfer flatbread onto a cutting board and cut desired portions. Enjoy!
Pecan & Treacle Soda Bread
From Hartes of Kildare – This recipe will make two substantial loaves.
• Wholemeal flour 700g
• Plain flour 200g
• Pecans chopped 200g
• Pin head oats 70g
• Bread soda 1tbsp
• Salted butter 30g
• Treacle 70g
• Fine salt 1tsp
• Buttermilk 1 litre
• Rolled Oats & flour for dusting
• Mix all the dry ingredients together
• Soften the butter and treacle but do not heat above room temperature.
• Add the butter, treacle first, then the buttermilk, mix well by hand only, do not knead top long or the dough will become stretchy, which is no good for soda bread.
• Dust well with oats and flour.
• Line baking tins with oil or flour, bake at 160°C for 55 mins for 900g loaf, check with a knife if the middle is clear. Turn out and allow to cool, store outside at room temperature.
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Skewers with Spicy Bulgur Wheat & Roasted Crispy Chickpeas
Hartes of Kildare Recipe – The bulgur wheat is excellent warm or cold served either on its own or stuffed in gem lettuce leaves or even chicory, with chutney or mint sauce, enjoy!
Ingredients for the chicken:
• 6 chicken fillets diced ¼ inch
• 1 tbsp cumin ground
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 1tsp ground cinnamon
• 4 tbsp tahini paste
• 1 tbsp garlic puree or 3 cloves crushed
• 10ml olive oil
• Pinch chilli flakes
- Marinade chicken: for at least 2 hours, leave to chill on skewers or on their own. Fry gently for 15 mins until golden.
Ingredients for the bulgur wheat:
• 200g bulgur wheat
• 50g sultanas
• 100g dried apricots
• 1 tbsp cumin ground
• 1 tbsp cinnamon ground
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika ground
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tbsp honey
• 1 tbsp mint sauce
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1 onion diced
• 1 sweet potato diced
• 500ml chicken stock
1. Add the vegetables to pot and slowly cook without colour for 5 mins, add the spices and cook for another 5.
2. Add the bulgur wheat and stock, stir continuously for 15 mins until all the stock is absorbed, season with mint sauce and salt to taste.
3. Roast the chickpeas for 20 mins at 120°C, whack the heat up to 180°C and sprinkle with Cajun spice, garlic salt or any good spice you have or chilli spice, roast in the oven for a further 10 mins.
Baked Chocolate Doughnuts With Caramel Glaze
Forget sending flowers to someone special, instead bake these pretty Lily O’Brien’s little flower shaped doughnuts and glaze with irresistible Creamy Caramel Chocolate for that extra special level of deliciousness!
Ingredients for Chocolate Doughnuts
• 140g plain flour
• 25g unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 large egg
• 100g granulated sugar
• 30g unsalted butter, melted
• 80 ml milk
• 60 ml yogurt
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for Chocolate Caramel Glaze
• 90g Lily O’Brien’s Creamy Caramels with Sea Salt Share Bag (1 bag)
• 30g unsalted butter
• 2 tsp honey
• 2 tsp water
To make the doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C (160°C fan).
- Grease a doughnut pan with oil or butter and set this to one side.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl, then set to one side.
- Whisk the egg and the sugar together in a medium bowl until well combined, then add the milk, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla extract, and whisk until well combined. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fill the doughnut cavities in the pan with batter, only filling to around the three quarter mark. Use a small spoon or a piping bag.
- Bake for between 8-10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the doughnuts comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove your doughnuts and transfer to a wire rack where they can cool completely before glazing.
To make the glaze:
- Place the chocolate, butter, honey and water together in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with decorations and sprinkles of your choice. Leave to rest until the glaze is set.
- Enjoy!! Doughnuts are best eaten the same day or keep them for up to 3 days in the refrigerator – but let’s be honest here, we don’t think they’re going to last that long!! 🙂
Whiskey Sour/Tully & Ginger Hybrid Kocktail
Recipe from Lock13 Gastro-Brewpub
• 50ml Tullamore Dew 18 Year
• 25ml Egg White
• 20ml Mandarin & Lime Green Tea Syrup
• 2 dashes of Jack Rody Aromatic Bitters
• Dry Shake all of the above.
• Strain into Chilled Whiskey Glass, top with prokulture kombucha Ginger & Lemongrass.